Have you ever wondered what happens in the Writing Center? If so, this post is for you.
As an undergrad, I passed by the Writing Center each day going to and from my English classes on the third floor of Coleman Hall. I'm sure I must have peeked in a time or two and I remember my professor's recommendation to visit the Writing Center, but that's about it. I never went. Why would I? What could the Writing Center offer me? That sounds very egotistical, but those were my thoughts. Perhaps those are your thoughts, too. Or maybe you're thinking that you could really use the support, but you don't know what to expect or you're uncomfortable to ask.
Well, here’s a list of ten things that I hope will encourage you to visit us at the Writing Center:
1) The Writing Center is for students across the curriculum. We welcome all writers—from Education to Chemistry, Psychology to History, Geology to Undeclared. We assist with all stages and genres of writing, even lab reports, research papers, scholarship essays, and creative writing contest essays.
Do you want to brainstorm topics? We're here for you. Need to organize your paper? We're here for you. Learn how to cite sources in MLA, APA, or CMS? We're here for you. Know how to avoid plagiarism? We're here for you. Learn why a comma goes here, not there? We’re here for you. Basically, if you're writing something, we're here for you.
2) And yes, we're here even for those who believe they don't need help. We are here for English majors and honors students
3) We are here for international students. We're aware that you are learning and growing as a writer in a completely different language and culture. How daunting! How inspiring! While we all can't say that we understand how you feel, Alamgir does, and we can all say that we hope to make you feel welcome and at ease every time you step into the Writing Center.
4) The writing consultants have been there and done that. We know how it feels to receive a low grade and how awkward it can feel to ask for help.
5) Writing improves the most when it's shared. Others can see things in your writing that you simply can't see. It may sound a bit frightening, but it’s extremely beneficial to go to the Writing Center just to bounce ideas off the consultant.
6) The writing consultants want to work with you. We look forward to your visits and you are in no way bothering us by stopping by. Actually, your visits make us excited!
7) Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
8) You can expect a friendly smile every time you step into the Writing Center. When you come in, we will check you in at the front desk, then work with you at one of the tables.
9) Our mission is to help you improve as a writer in addition to helping you with your writing assignment.
10) We accept walk-ins and appointments. You can stop by or call anytime during our hours to make an appointment (581-5929).
As you may know, the Writing Center is located at 3110 Coleman Hall.
We're open from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. and 6 p.m. -9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m.- 1 p.m. on Friday.
Visit our website to learn more about us! www.eiu.edu/writing