Monday, September 17, 2012

Foucaultine: The Non-Writer’s Cure-All in Pill Form

As I am being introduced to composition rhetoric and pedagogy at the graduate level, I often find myself thinking about the intended goal of the popular theorist involved with the study.  Many use scientific methods to try to discover the cognitive patterns in the brain of a writer. This always worries me.

My first worry is that a pedagogy theorist and his team of scientists will discover how my brain works and place me in a strict category, therefore trivializing my mental capacity. 

My second worry is that soon after this discovery, Pfizer will patent Foucaultine, a cure-all pill for college students. 

This pill will stimulate blood flow to induce the thought pattern like that of the Flower and Hayes' Cognitive Process theory:


The pill will cure us from a scenario more like this:

Although a pill like this is unrealistic, it seems that every writing instructor, be it a tutor, teacher, professor, or theorist, is in search of the proverbial magic pill.  

 What saying, limerick, or anecdote will help every student?

The problem is this: Every student is different (I hope). Every student will rationalize the approach to writing differently and stumble in uniques ways, thus requiring an unique approach from the instructor. 

That is until Pfizer releases Foucaultine.

Teaching writing will never be easy. It will require a complex pattern of reaction, quick decision making, and an elaborate cocktail of approaches, all of which takes practice, practice, practice. 

After all, practice is the closest thing we will ever have to Foucaultine. 

1 comment:

  1. I like a well-designed chart, so one that also makes me laugh every time I see it is a special treat.

    ReplyDelete